Wednesday, October 9, 2013

       THINGS I DON’T UNDERSTAND

 
The world is full of mystifying things. And as
                                                I’m getting older, there are more and more things I can’t understand. While I have always known that the world is complicated, I accepted it and didn’t think about it much. Not so now. I am forever asking the important questions about the mundane things that make up life.
For example, how can a suppository cure laryngitis? Having suffered a recent bout, I can testify to the fact that indeed it does. Then, the question that begs an answer is certainly how can a waxy substance inserted in the rectum work its magic in the throat? Most importantly though, I want to know who thought of this? A research scientist, obviously, but I want to understand the process.
And why is it that when celebrities cheat on their spouses they have an addiction while any other adulterer is simply a louse? It seems to me that money and addiction are closely related in a scenario when the more money a person has, the more profound the addiction appears to be. The solution couldn’t be simpler: let these poor souls give their money away and the addiction will resolve itself.
Another thing I don’t understand is who decides how much art is worth? Two people looking at the same painting might have very varied opinions, one person liking it while the other finding it rather boring. Whose opinion will come into play when assessing its value? What I really don’t understand is how any given artwork can be worth millions of dollars, tens of millions in some instances. How much would that work out per hour for the artist’s time were he still alive? That boggles the mind, doesn’t it?
With the advent of autumn, what I really don’t understand is how much last year’s clothes have shrunk over the summer. Must have to do with the heat. What else could it be?