Wednesday, November 12, 2014

 

Winter is a comin’

I live near a large marina full of activity during the good months. These days, as I walk along the water, the boats are all gone, and while the weather is still reasonably warm in my neck of the woods, the empty marina is a sure sign that winter is on its way.

Those of us who live in a four-season climate have to adjust to changing weather all through the year, however adjusting to the bitter cold of winter can be more challenging than adjusting to, say, the warm breezes of spring. The secret is to meet the challenge dead on by preparing for it and making the most of it.

            I’ve always enjoyed winter and still do because I don’t hibernate. I cross-country ski or snowshoe as often as I can. When that’s not possible, I make it a point of at least going for a walk outside in the fresh air. To me, one of the best benefits of embracing winter rather than cursing it is that it makes me feel renewed physically and mentally.

            Of course, many boomers prefer to get away from it all for several months and are already planning their winter escape to warmer climes. Not everyone can or wants to do that. Many people have family or other obligations that prevent them from being away for long periods. Personally, taking a trip south for one or two weeks during the colder months is enough. I could not see myself as a snowbird away for months.

            To each his own, of course. Variety is what makes life what it is. If everyone was the same or thought the same, it would be kind of boring, don’t you think? It’s the same with seasons. I enjoy living in an area where the weather is constantly changing no doubt because I have lived in the south where the temperature doesn’t really vary all that much. While not having to wear winter boots and coats was very nice, I missed the seasons. I miss the variety and now I enjoy it as much as I can.