Wednesday, February 4, 2015

 

Health Management

As the years add up, remaining pain free is a priority for many of us. There are, of course, myriad painkillers on the market. Many are geared to specific conditions, for example backache or arthritic pain, but most of them come in strengths that vary from baby dosage to mega potency. However, there are other options.

            I am of the opinion that when alternative treatments are available, they should be investigated. Case in point, a few years back I was plagued from time to time by excruciating pain which encompassed one ear and one side of my head. No matter how strong the painkiller I used, the relief was temporary at best. I saw a bunch of doctors, got all sorts of tests to rule out things like a brain tumor, and was told there was nothing wrong with me. One doctor had the gall to tell me I should stop complaining like a baby, that the pain could not be as bad as I was describing it. For a fleeting moment, I had trouble resisting the urge to punch her in the face.

            At that point a colleague suggested that I should consult an acupuncturist who might be able to provide relief. She said that her eighty-something mother saw one every few months to control her arthritic pain. I followed the advice out of desperation, not expecting results. The acupuncturist was a Chinese man with a medical degree who said he could cure me. Prove it, buddy, I told myself.

The good doctor proceeded to put needles in all sorts of unexpected points in my face and ears, then told me to relax for a few minutes. The pain began to subside and I quickly fell asleep, not surprising since the pain had prevented restful sleep in the previous forty-eight hours. He let me sleep for a couple of hours, and when I woke up the pain was completely gone.  The problem returned a few months later, but the pain was not nearly as severe, and I haven’t had more in years now.  Touch wood, of course!

I recount this story, to make the point that sometimes going away from traditional medical treatments can have very positive results. That doesn’t mean that I believe all the claims made by non-traditional “experts.”  Every case is different, and a variety of sources should be investigated before submitting to any form of treatment.

            A case in point is certainly the vitamin/supplement sector. As we remember, a few decades ago, those who took vitamins were rare and considered a little weird. In the ensuing years, research has gone on non-stop. Today we know that we can benefit from taking certain supplements, such as calcium and vitamin D to help ensure bone health, for example. That does not mean that we should consider taking all the supplements available at the local pharmacy or health-food store. Many experts consider most of these products a waste of money. Before buying supplements, we should be very clear about what they do and don’t do, and not rely solely on the hype.

            Another point is that so-called “natural” remedies, whether herbs or supplements, can have unwanted and even disastrous effects if they interfere with prescribed medication by reducing or amplifying desired results. This is something many people do not seem to take into account. It’s always a good idea to consult a doctor before considering taking any type of supplements.

            Nevertheless, many remedies outside the traditional medical realm have definite benefits. At a particularly stressful period in my life, I developed stomach ulcers which responded poorly to traditional medication. After consulting a naturopath, I was able to heal them with raw cabbage juice.  While some years ago it was considered a bizarre remedy, today cabbage juice is being touted more and more in traditional medical literature as one element to consider for the treatment of stomach problems.

            All this to say, we need not avoid remedies outside traditional medical wisdom, but neither should we use them blindly.  Look before you leap certainly applies here.