Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Food for Thought

Subtle changes occur in the body as we age, and boomers will testify that those changes necessitate that our food intake be modified to accommodate digestive modifications. One thing is that we have to eat less, avoid rich and fatty foods if we want to feel our best. Teenagers seem to be able to eat anything at any time without ill effects. After fifty, whether you like it or not, your body tells you that some changes are necessary if you want to enjoy life.

            As the years pile on people develop sensitivity to certain foods which they were able to tolerate well when they were younger. In my case, somewhere along the line, I slowly became aware that I experienced digestive problems after eating chocolate. Think about it: chocolate! Why could it not have been something like spinach or broccoli? On occasion when I try a little piece of chocolate to see if by some miracle my body no longer resents it, I get a quick negative response.

            Whatever food sensitivity you may have developed, all is not lost. Think of all the other foods you can enjoy without problems. And to feel your best, choosing lighter versions of your favorite foods is key. Ideally, we should prepare and cook our meals at home as much as possible to ensure we know exactly what we’re eating. Of course, preparing food at home is time consuming, but those of us who have cooked for the family all our lives can now focus on the foods we like best. And we can modify our cooking habits. Personally, I spend a half-hour a week making a huge pot of soup then freeze some of it so I can enjoy it whenever. I do the same with things like turkey or salmon loaves. It’s always easy to double or triple a recipe. Then meals can be put together in a jiffy.

Of course, we all need a break from our routine once in a while so we buy prepared dishes. The idea here is to take time to read the list of ingredients. I go by the motto that I don’t buy anything when there is more than one ingredient I can’t pronounce. And I make sure to check the sugar content because amazingly sugar seems to be added to everything these days. And that is certainly one ingredient we should restrict in our diet.

But, of course, feasting on a food or dish that is less than perfect for our health is okay once in a while. A sweet pleasure!