Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Living Longer

Reading some of the medical opinions being advanced to live longer, it seemed to me to be simple common sense. But, I suppose, it’s a good idea to be reminded from time to time that what we do or don’t do affects the state of our health and quality of life. Not smoking is high on the list, followed by exercising 30 minutes each day, choosing to eat a well balanced diet with at least five servings of fruit and vegetables every day, controlling blood pressure, and learning to relax to decrease stress. All very sensible things, but not the only ones.

If you increase your social networks and reduce stress you may reach a biological age benefit of up to 30 years according to the RealAge science team, while laughing a lot can give your immune system an eight -year boost. Things certainly worth considering especially since such changes can only make life that much more enjoyable.

Telling funny jokes seems to be second nature to some people. They don’t forget jokes and have the ability to keep you in stitches for a long time. I regret that I’m not in that category. I have absolutely no talent for telling jokes. Especially when I try to impress my grandchildren. They simply roll their eyes while saying: Good one, grandma! Well, at least I try. 

I know some people who seem to be afraid to laugh. It’s simply not in their nature. Life is hard and then you die appears to be their motto, no doubt born of some type of depression or anger, or both. These people don’t even seem to have the ability to smile. One woman of my acquaintance is especially notorious for admonishing those who do enjoy a good laugh. To her it’s silly. Personally, I see it as sad because she’s not only missing out on a lot of fun, she’s also punishing her immune system. After all, who wouldn’t want to have the age benefit of laughter.