Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Madness
Well, it’s official, retailers have gone mad! I was in my local shopping mall yesterday afternoon and simply could not believe my eyes when I saw store clerks unpacking Christmas decorations and filling shelves. It’s definitely getting out of hand. After all since it’s mid-September there’s three and a half months to go before Christmas. Why can’t retailers wait until Halloween has come and gone before enticing us with Yule fare?
            I can only imagine how young mothers must dance around reality when their youngsters get all excited about Santa in September. Can the young ones really anticipate a holiday for that length of time? I think not.
            At least at the end of November colorful decorations begin appearing everywhere outside so that everyone is on the same page. How can Christmas be a concern long before the annual parade of Halloween costumes appears for trick or treating. All I can say is that I feel sorry for youngsters who must be all mixed up when they see Halloween costumes and Santa suits displayed side by side.
            I must be getting old, but the whole Christmas in September irritates me. Like many of you, I’m sure, I remember the days when Christmas fever hit in November for retailers. In those days we weren’t sick and tired of Christmas by the time December came along.
            But now with Christmas already invading stores in September, what will be displayed in December? Easter eggs and bunnies? Or perhaps beach wear and toys for summer?
            At some point it becomes ridiculous!