Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Looking Good
It is said that there are three stages in life: youth, middle-age, and “You’re looking good!” And for some reason, I seem to be hearing the last one more and more often.
            While traveling not too long ago, I ran into a former colleague I had not seen in well over twenty years. We both stopped and looked at each other for a long moment, assessing. I could see that the face in front of me still had the traits of the past but it was more mature and, dare I say, wrinkly. I’m sure she was thinking the same thing while looking at me. We embraced briefly and the words dictated by social politeness naturally poured out of her mouth: “You haven’t changed a bit!” The “a bit” left no doubt in my mind as to her real evaluation of my aging face!
            I think we’re all guilty of avoiding the truth when facing people we haven’t been in contact with in a long time. And since we know that: “My, you look old!” or “It looks like wrinkles certainly flourish on your face,” or “Boy, you really need a facelift!” would no doubt mean that a murder would ensue, we stretch the truth. And there certainly is nothing wrong with that.
            I think that’s how: “You’re looking good!” entered our vocabulary. But it’s a not a lie as long as people are healthy and happy no matter their age. A brother-in-law of mine recently celebrated his 90th birthday, and I can attest to the fact that he does look good. Not “for his age” as some people are often heard saying in such circumstances, but simply because he’s happy to share a contented life with his wife and family, to make laughter a priority and to regularly take time to engage in golf, a sports he’s always loved.
            Seeing him dance to mark his milestone, I decided then and there that I would take it as a compliment when people tell me I look good. More often than not, it is after all simply a true observation.
            (Or it could simply be that they need new eyeglasses!)