Wednesday, May 3, 2017


 
Spring is Springing
Every year I find it quite amazing how fast spring springs. Just a few weeks ago we had snow that, fortunately, quickly melted. That gave way to what I call the brown season, the dull almost lifeless look of nature before the sun has a chance to warm things up. That was certainly the case last week as I drove in the country with my granddaughter. She remarked that she couldn’t wait to see green. She got her wish this week as, almost overnight, lawns were once again revived and showing off their green blades. Close to my house the dark red shoots of the peonies are seemingly growing an inch a day as they rush to be able to show off their large blooms. And the buds on the trees are bursting at the seam.
All that newness entices us to spring into action. We have a need to take stock, to change, to once again put our best foot forward. As with most people, at this time of year I clean out my closets. The main idea, of course, is to put warmer things in the back and bring lighter clothes to the front, but it’s also decision time. Because most of us keep buying new clothes every year, spring is a good time to thin the herd as it were—but what to keep and what to recycle? I don’t know about you, but I always have problems deciding what to eliminate. Some little devil somewhere inside me says things like: Keep that; it still looks good. Or: Don’t get rid of that; styles do come back. Or: You’ve got to keep that jacket; remember how much you paid for it?
The problem with listening to your little devil is that you end up with too much. Yesterday I tried on a skirt I purchased some ten years ago. It still fits because my weight hasn’t varied much in that time, but I soon realized that the cut dates it even if I feel comfortable in it. It was difficult, but I faced my little devil and the skirt went into the recycle pile. And the pile grew as I found many things I haven’t worn for a couple of years for one reason or another.
It is said that if you have clothes you haven’t worn in more than a year, you should get rid of it. I suppose that’s a good habit to take, but like everything else in life there are exceptions to every rule. Take a dressy top I bought in Hong Kong ages ago that I only wear on special occasions. When I see it I agree with my little devil that I should definitely keep it, no matter its age. The cut is classic and I can enjoy wearing for many more years.  No one needs to know its real age. Nor mine for that matter!
Have a great spring!

I’ll be away from my blog for the next couple of weeks.