Wednesday, October 18, 2017

#ME TOO
These days the rallying cry for women who have been sexually harassed or assaulted by men is #MeToo, and the movement is steadily gaining momentum. This, of course, follows the revelations about the behaviour of Harvey Weinstein, and other executives in high profile companies.
            It’s about time, I say. I myself was the victim of men who used their power to demean women in the workplace. I never said anything because I felt totally powerless, somewhat ashamed as if it were my fault. Of course, if this happened to me today I can assure you that two men who made my life miserable would be cooling their heels in prison.
 As many of you will remember, some decades back, men sexually harassing women was the worst kept secret in large corporations. Women didn’t dare say anything for fear of losing their jobs especially when the economic situation was dismal. Thank God, things are changing and women are finally speaking out. The #MeToo movement is certainly showing that there is strength in numbers.
Being sexually assaulted by men is more than a mere social faux pas. It has been proven that for women it is a devastating life event that can lead to post traumatic stress disorder with varying degrees of anxiety and long-term depression.
I believe that we of a certain age have a duty to encourage our granddaughters and all younger women around us to be aware that some men do prey on women and that these men should immediately be reported. This should be a lot easier now that #MeToo women are banning together to lift the stigma of shame women who were sexually assaulted in the past had to endure. Women have a right to be heard no matter what.
Years ago, my mother and my aunts joined other women who fought for women’s rights and they were successful. Today, the #MeToo movement is another milestone in women’s fight to be respected.
As far as I am concerned I don’t need to worry too much about a granddaughter who told me that if a man ever tried to touch her or insulted her, he would be the recipient of punch in the face.
Go Girl!