Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Stuff
As the years add up we become aware of how much “stuff” we’ve accumulated over the years. Then, if you’re like me, you begin to consider that downsizing is a must. In my case, downsizing is an ongoing effort.
            Whenever I go through my cupboards and closets and see things I no longer use, I put them aside to sort later. When the pile is big enough I make packages for my local charity second-hand store. The shop welcomes all donations that can be useful to people with little money, but it is always especially looking for clothing. To me it’s great to downsize my closet while helping others at the same time. 
            A while back, I came across a couple of wool blankets that had been in a closet for at least a decade, yet I had not used them in years. When I brought them to the second-hand shop last fall, it was great to see the lady in charge thank me several times. She said she knew a family that had an urgent need for blankets. I must say that I left feeling pleased that I had made the effort to bring comfort to someone else.
I am downsizing in small doses, but I know that at my next move, I’ll have to be prepared to get rid of much more stuff in an organized manner. That stuff will include furniture that I’ve already begun to sell. To facilitate the process, I’ve found that taking pictures and offering the items on line is a good way to go. I recently sold an old sewing machine that no longer worked but was housed in an antique cabinet the buyer had been looking for. I was thrilled, so was she. People go on line when looking for specific items and you never know what will catch their eye.
Another way to go when you have a lot of stuff to get rid of is certainly the garage or yard sale. You display small and large items and let treasure hunters have a great time examining everything, something I myself have been known to do over the years.
Preparing for such a sale is time consuming but it can be rewarding to see the stuff you no longer use make someone else happy. I think it’s good to remember that while people are looking for great deals at these sales it certainly does not mean that you’ve got to give things away.  As part of the planning process for your own yard sale it’s a good idea to take the time to look at the prices at other yard sales so you have an idea how to price your own stuff.
Since you surely will not get rid of all your stuff, there are removal companies that can pick up the rest to donate it or recycle it. You will need to pay for this service, but it’s a good way of clearing everything out.
During the summer months, I still enjoy visiting garage and yard sales in my neighbourhood.  Of course, now I have a clear purpose in mind because I search for books and dvds. It’s amazing the treasures you can find for a couple of dollars.