Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Changes

We all know that in life, nothing is static. Change is the name of the game. Just like the ocean, our lives are constantly in a moving pattern. Some changes are unseen and have little influence on our daily lives, while surface patterns are constantly pushing us to take a new course, but it does not mean we have to let them.

This is especially true when it comes to new technologies. Case in point, I recently heard a woman remark that her mother was really behind the times. “She doesn’t bank on line and still pays her bills by mail,” she complained. I did not comment, but my reaction was that I may also be behind the times. I don’t see why I should necessarily handle my financial affairs on line simply because it is available. I suppose that I feel comfortable with the way I do things, but also part of me still does not fully trust the internet. If hackers can access sensitive data I don’t think it’d be very difficult for them to play footsie with my bank account. Not that there is much to play footsie with. I just feel safer paying my bills myself at the bank.

Before taking to the road for a few hours when going to visit family or friends, I stop at my local library and take out an audio book. It is enjoyable to hear the narrator’s voice as the miles add up, and by the time I return the CD, I’ve been entertained and/or I have learned something new. “That is so passé,” a friend told me recently. “You should download material yourself.”

My first reaction: What’s the difference? Just because I can download books on a portable device does not mean I must do so. Not just yet, anyway. In time, I will no doubt do it, but for the moment the traditional me, says: What’s the point of forever adopting every new thing that comes our way. There is enough surface change in my life as it is.