Wednesday, February 6, 2019


Reflections on Change
 Like many people I tend to wear some clothes more often than others mostly because they feel so comfy. That was exactly the case with a summer-weight night shirt that I had for years. I kept putting it away in September and getting it out again in the spring.
            Last fall, however, there was no way I could justify putting it away again for its annual cold weather slumber. It had holes in it, holes that were getting bigger, so I had to throw it out and be strong, accept this change in my life and go on.
            Life is indeed the management of change. Some are of little consequence, like my night shirt, but others have a more profound effect.
            After one of my sons and his family loss their beloved dog there was a period of grief and adjustment to the changing reality for the family. On hearing the news, another son wisely said that they had gotten a gift. The remark took me a little by surprise, especially since I was also grieving in my own way the loss of this wonderful animal who was my friend whenever I visited. When we face a loss it is a gift that helps us grow in wisdom, my son added. He’s right, of course. What doesn’t kill us makes us stronger.
            After the grieving, the family has grown to a point where memories of their dog make them smile and realize how fortunate they were to have had the animal for a number of years.
            So it is with every change in our lives. We eventually accept and turn our attention to the new road ahead and its possibilities.  
            Of course, as we age, it seems that change becomes more frequent. We all experience subtle changes in our body, for example. Things we did without thinking have a way of becoming somewhat more challenging. At one point or another most of us realize that we need “longer arms” to read fine print. Or we become aware of our limitations when it comes to staying up late or eating certain foods. And then we often have to face change in our relationships as children, siblings or friends move away or even die.
            We accept these because we realize that life is unfolding has it has always done and will continue to do. And we become wiser because of it.