Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Time Goes On
When I talked to a family member after he recently underwent surgery, he told me everything went well except perhaps for his surgeon. “The guy was about twelve years old!”
            I knew exactly what his exaggerated observation meant. It seems that those who are coming after us look younger and younger all the time. I mean, we all remember the turn of the century, don’t we? That was not so long ago, at least not as far as I am concerned, yet those born in 2000 are now adults. A bit scary, don’t you think?
Time goes on for everyone.
While we feel some people look too young to actually work in their given profession, many of us are always trying to look younger than our birth certificates attest to. The options available to us are forever growing, from expensive potion and injections to surgeries. But I still maintain that if people “redesign” their faces too drastically facial recognition software, which it seems will be everywhere soon, may fail to recognize the person it was made to recognize. And then what about aging features? Is facial recognition software built to take into account the aging process? I mean, what if you can’t start your car because of new wrinkles near your eyes? Or because an ugly wart has just sprung on your nose?
And what about if you have a bad cold with red eyes and a runny nose?
And what about fellows who decide to shave their beards?
So many questions, so little time!
A couple of days ago I ran into an old acquaintance who told me he would be celebrating his 70th birthday in a few weeks. Then he asked: Do you think I look older or younger than my real age. Vanity, oh vanity, no matter the age! Of course I told him he looked a good six years younger, which made him smile with satisfaction.
And I thought only women were desperate to look younger than they really are!