Wednesday, August 19, 2015

 

Technological Advances

Some years ago, one of my sons gave me a cell phone as a Christmas gift because he didn’t want me traveling alone without a means of communicating in case of problems.

            It made me feel secure. I have upgraded it a couple of times, but it’s still just a phone which allows me to make calls, send texts and take pictures. That’s all I need at the moment. It certainly is not as smart as my children’s and grandchildren’s devices which keep them connected all the time with apps for anything and everything.

            It seems to me technological innovations have been coming on stream at an amazing pace in the last few years. Faster than at any other time in the past. Those of us who remember when The Beatles took the pop world by storm, have seen many new technologies over the years, but these changes were gradual. Today you turn around and some new gadget is in the offing. You’ve got to upgrade your computer before being completely at ease with your current software or touch-screen capabilities, CDs (marvels that would never wear out) have given way to Blu-ray, etcetera. To say nothing of eyewear that can take pictures and keep you connected to the Internet.

            In the early 80s, a calculator watch made by Casio hit the market and was considered a marvel. BTW it still sells online. Today we can keep in constant touch with the Apple watch and a choice of apps. Personally, I’m not sure that I’d want to use a screen that small. Those of us who make use of reading glasses most certainly prefer using something a little larger.

            And what’s in the future? Now there is talk of apps being developed so they can be applied to clothing. So you’d wear your t-shirt and press one of your apps when you need info or data. As a woman, I’m not sure I’d like that. For example, would there be a guarantee that the apps would not be offensively placed?

            And there is also talk of apps being developed for use in cars. The idea at the moment is that hand gestures would activate their use. I can just imagine what that would look like! Should be fun for other drivers!

            And selfies could take on a whole new meaning with cameras on personal drones. The idea is that you would be able to get a video of yourself as you do things like walk, jog, ski or run with the camera turning around you. I don’t know about you, but I can see a whole new world of problems if everybody gets one!   

And what else? The question right now is whether or not we should be afraid of artificial intelligence which could one day outsmart mankind. I’ve got an idea, why don’t we perfect artificial intelligence to eliminate terrorism. Would that not be great for all of us?