Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Depression Awareness Month

I was shocked when I heard that Robin Williams had committed suicide. Why would he? I thought to myself. He had tons of fans, was rich, etc. But you never know how another human being really feels deep inside, do you?

            Soon after, a woman I’ve known for more years than I care to remember confided in me that she came very close to ending her own life when she was a teenager. She was withdrawn and often cried until a teacher cared enough to take her aside and offer to help. It changed everything for her, and she became a successful adult instead of a statistics.

            Her revelation got me to thinking that perhaps we need to pay more attention to those around us, especially the young people who are having a hard time. We may not want to intrude in the lives of others, but it could make a huge difference if we offer to listen and to help. Depression is a treatable disease, not something that should be endured.

            Recently, a man I know who went through a very difficult time confided to me that he had always thought that people who suffered from depression just needed to buck up and stop feeling sorry for themselves, until he himself had to fight the disease. He says he realized that it was not something he could simply wish away. He talked to his doctor and got the help he needed.

            Often, when people feel that life is not worth living, what they need is a sympathetic ear and a warm touch, to know they are not alone. That is true at any age. Teenagers who are overwhelmed because they are abused or because they lack self-confidence as well as older people who have to come to grips with the reality of aging alone can be especially vulnerable. A warm smile and a friendly chat about the many resources available to help them can make a huge difference.

            And being grateful, says the man who conquered his depression. “My life was not perfect,” he says, “but I began to see how fortunate I was when I thought of those living in war zones today. I was living the dream in comparison.”

            Now, being grateful is on his agenda every day.