Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Amazing Creativity

           A while back I wrote “iPod in rice” on a piece of paper which I put on a container on the kitchen counter at my son’s house.  My grandson’s iPod had gone through the wash cycle and no longer worked. Someone had told him that putting it in rice would fix the problem, so I buried the device in the white grain. Since his parents were out, I thought it would be wise to put an explanatory note on the container.

To tell you the truth, I didn’t expect much. I mean, how could a grain as ancient as rice be of any help to such a modern device. But lo and behold, it was. A week later my grandson was proud to call me to tell me that his iPod was again working properly. I find that totally amazing. Don’t you?

The creativity of mankind is as old as time.  Modern gadgets result in modern problems, but somehow we are able to find adequate solutions. Perhaps that was the idea from the start. A “let’s see how long it takes them to figure it out” sort of approach by the Universe. I believe we have all the solutions. The trick is to be able to fit them to the right questions. And that’s what researchers are attempting to do all the time no matter their field of study.

Sometimes answers and discoveries come up totally by accident, whether it’s in the medical field or any other area of endeavor. Perhaps the Universe is the one guiding. 

Makes sense to me. If rice can be used to draw humidity from inside a modern electronic gadget and revive it, surely the same principle can be applied to countless elements in our world. All we need is to nurture our ability to be amazed. At any age.