Thursday, June 18, 2015

Successful Aging

Successful aging is the expression du jour these days. And rightly so. We talk of successful careers, successful marriages, and a slew of other successes, so why should we not talk about making aging a successful time of life? As we reach mid-life we should all be aware that it is up to each of us to manage the art of aging smart.

To me, it means being involved in life and developing effective strategies so that we can cope with change and feel that we matter. Social ties are important at all ages, but as we get on in years, things change because of life events. Children may move away, siblings and friends may die which may alter our family and social relationships. It then becomes imperative to get up and get involved in new activities as much as we can to meet new people.

But with age there is a tendency to become set in our ways. We do things the way we’ve always done them, so it can be difficult to take steps in a new direction, to step out of our comfort zone. I say hooray to those who try. A sixty-eight-year-old neighbor who recently lost his wife, was telling me the other day that he used to enjoy bowling when he was younger, so he decided to get back to it by joining a group that bowls every week. It’s a night out and for a while I forget my loss, he said. I think he’s definitely aging successfully. Especially since he’s also trying to grow a mustache, something he had been thinking of doing for a while. It’s great that he is finally taking the step.

We all have different abilities. When singing voices were handed out, I must not have been in the room because I cannot carry a tune, and I envy those who can sing. Like a former colleague who informed me the other day at lunch that when she retired a few months ago, she joined a choir. Good for her, I say. Not only is she making the most of her talent and extending her social circle, it is said that singing is good for the mind as well as the body.  Now that’s successful aging!

The choices are numerous. If you want to read about what boomers, some well-known, have and are still doing, take a look at Sanford Holst’s book Boomers Rock Again. It’s sure to inspire.