Wednesday, October 21, 2015


Long Distance Grandparenting
I have grown very fond of a fellow who lives a few doors down. We met when he was walking his dog that looks exactly like the one who shared my life for more than a decade. I stopped to tell him so and then walked with him on my way to the store. He and his dog waited for me, and since then we have become pals.
            This guy is, I must say, very handsome. He has the most beautiful blue eyes and a smile that can melt any heart. He is inquisitive and intelligent, sensitive and charming. All the traits I like in a male.
            On weekends, usually on Saturday morning, as I am laboring through the crossword puzzle in the paper in the hope of keeping my grey cells in reasonable shape, my fellow rings the doorbell and comes in for a chat. I have a second cup of tea while he enjoys a glass of milk and recounts the latest adventures in his life. And asks questions. That’s something he does a lot. But I don’t mind. In fact, I rather enjoy it.
            He stays until the call comes that it’s time for him to get back home. You see, my friend is seven, and he has become an important person in my life.
            His grandparents live in another province, and although they manage to visit often, I know my young friend misses them terribly. When they do come for a visit, he doesn’t ring my doorbell, and some part of me misses him, but his next visit makes up for it as he recounts in detail what he and his grandparents did together.
            As I listen, I am reminded how important grandparents are in a child’s life. They give the same unconditional love as parents, and, as my friend often comments, they tell neat stories of the old days. Of course, the days he refers to are the 70s! And although I met his grandparents only briefly, I am certain he is for them a tremendous blessing. I saw the trio walking the dog on their last visit, and if a picture is worth a thousand words, that one truly spoke volumes.
            My grandchildren do not live in the same city as I do, and although they are all within driving distance, I regret not being able to see them as often as I would like. In a way, my young friend fills that void. We can all share the joys of life with a child whose own grandparents live at a distance and create new bonds, new joys. And we can give them so much in return.