Wednesday, March 9, 2016

On Furs
Spring may be close according to the calendar, but in my world winter is desperate to hang on a while longer. Bundling up to face the weather is still very much a necessity.
            As I made my way to a local mall on a particularly cold morning the other day I saw a woman wearing a very nice fur jacket. I must say that it was something I had not seen in some time although there are lots of women who still wear fur coats. Things, however, have changed. When I was young—a century or so ago, my grandchildren believewomen who had fur coats, especially if those were mink, were envied. Perhaps they still are, but in the not so-distant past having a fur coat was simply a must. Today certainly not as much. 
            Fur is warm and was appreciated in cold climates for centuries. The first Europeans who came to North America traded with the local natives for fur not only to keep themselves warm but also to send back home. Over time, fur evolved into the couture business we all remember.
            I recall fondly that when I was young and living in the country warm fur blankets kept us toasty when we went for sleigh rides. I now wonder what happened to those.
            Things evolved over the years, and the prosperous fur merchants of yesteryears now do a lot of remodeling as fur use now seems mostly limited to accessories and collars. A few years ago, a designer reintroduced the fur stole as a fashion statement, but fondness for the idea has been limited. 
            I think that in addition to the moral objection of wearing an animal to keep warm, fur began to lose ground with the advent of warmer man made fabrics which were cheaper than natural furs. However, I can’t help wondering if all the new materials that go into coats today are better for our environment and our health!