Thursday, December 1, 2016

Size   is just a number

I don’t know about you, but in the past when I heard someone wore a size 0, I assumed it was a newborn. Not so today. Sizing has rebelled and the whole concept of numbers has been revamped.

          A woman no longer wears an average size 12. Today, the average size is more 8 it seems. And the “skinny bitches,” as Joy Behar calls models and Hollywood starlet types, now wear size 2 or size 0 depending on whether or not they’ve eaten in the last week.  This begs the question: Where are we headed? Will we soon find ourselves having to deal with minus sizes?

          Just like age is just a number, a dress size is after all just a number. Manufacturers have introduced what I consider ridiculous smaller sizes over the last couple of decades no doubt in an effort to make women believe they were slimmer than they really were so they would buy more outfits. A woman feels oh so good in a size 6 as opposed to a two-digit size, but it is after all just an illusion, isn’t it?

I’ve also noticed another sizing problem, somewhat the reverse. Looking for a new winter jacket, I visited several stores and tried on countless styles. Although I was trying on only those marked size large to make sure to have room for a bulky sweater. I found that many restricted the movement of my shoulders. When I pointed that out to a sales person, she simply said that the jacket I was trying on came from China. “Asian sizing” she called it.

Asian large is definitely not the large we’re used to. Many garments made in China come on the market with a smaller sizing (no matter what the label says) no doubt because manufacturers look at petite Chinese women for guidance.

 I ended up buying a jacket made in Italy where sizes appear to be more in line with what I consider normal.