Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Laughter

Laughter is definitely the best medicine, but especially when things are tough. The bad weather of late has been a source of problems and frustration for many people, but some simply took it in stride. A man who, I suppose, did not own warm headgear stepped outside during a cold snap wearing the horse head of a party costume. I wonder how many people gave him a double take wondering for a moment what specie was taking over the world. I’m sure he had a good laugh.
             As we add years to our years we face new situations that may make us nervous or uncomfortable. Getting a colonoscopy is certainly one of those, but it helps to have a sense of humor about it all. A physician has claimed that the following are actual comments from male patients while undergoing colonoscopies.
<     
     Are we there yet? Are we there yet?
<    You know, in Arkansas, we’re now legally married.
<     Now I know how a Muppet feels!
<     Hey Doc, let me know if you find my dignity.
        You used to be an executive at Enron, didn’t you?
<      Could you write a note for my wife to say that my head is not up there.
<      Take it easy, Doc. You’re boldly going where no man has gone before.

             It also helps to laugh at other situations we face as we age. One middle-aged man who began to have digestive challenges that resulted in excessive flatulence kept his cool even when others around him made a point of not approaching too closely in case a “bomb” was released. ”So I cut cheese, nothing unusual or lethal about it,” he told a colleague. “Just a burp deciding that travel could be fun.”