Wednesday, May 23, 2018

On Discounts
These days, many if not most companies offer senior discounts to their customers. The age when such discounts are available varies from 55 to 65. Some even start at 50 although most folks are far from seeing themselves as seniors at the point.  
          The way I see it, since seniors have done their share for society it is nice to see that they can get some perks here and there. However not all seniors take advantage of such discounts. Some have lots of money so they simply don’t care, while others see such discounts as a reminder that time never stands still and they avoid them. To my mind, the latter simply avoid reality. When did saving money become a bad thing? 
          Of course we are all getting older, but why not save money while we are. Most people face reduced income at retirement, so having age discounts is most welcomed at that time. I take advantage of as many as I can, and when they are not posted I ask for them. On occasion, I am told that the company does not offer senior discounts, however I usually get a price reduction.
          On a few instances when I was not offered a senior discount and inquired, I was told that the reason was that I did not look old enough to quality. Either the person had a sense of humor or had simply forgotten to give me the discount.
Either way, while I may have been flattered for a moment, I suggested an eye exam ….