Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Too Much Entertainment?
I watched part of the Emmy broadcast the other evening and two questions came to mind.
            One was certainly why some female Hollywood celebs can’t afford the fabric to properly cover their torsos. I mean, seeing a décolletage reaching the waistline while covering only a portion of the breasts I find a little much. Perhaps I am a prude, but in my view breasts relate to motherhood and should not be paraded on television.
            I suspect that at some point a designer looking to make her/his mark decided to see how far a woman’s breasts could be displayed. Celebs who are always looking to stand out saw this as a chance to get attention. Hopefully that trend will soon become a thing of the past.
            The second question: How can we watch all the shows now available. I find that there are simply too many vying for our attention. A lot of the ones nominated the other night I had never heard of for the simple reason that the sheer number of shows offered makes it impossible to know them all. The simple reason is that the number of platforms offering viewing entertainment keeps growing. It now seems that everyone wants to get into the business.
            Trying to get a sense of all the shows offered through cable or satellite can seem overwhelming to start with. Add to that all the subscription-based newcomers and I would think that this reality cannot be good for ratings which become more and more diluted.
            One good thing about these shows is that they no doubt offer new and additional opportunities for actors of all ages. However, I think it will take time for viewers to get to know them all.