Wednesday, March 30, 2022

  New Normal

When my computer acts up I call a fellow who has been taking care of it when needed. I didn’t have any reason to reach out to him for a while until a few days ago. He agreed to come over and see what he could do to improve my desktop unit, but I had to ask him: “Are you vaccinated?”  He was and he even had had a booster shot, so I gave him the green light.

            The new normal for me at the moment is to make certain I’m keeping safe from the covid virus because I’m still not yet back to my old self after a health issue. People talk of the “new normal” now that the pandemic seems to be over but is it? A new variant seems to be a reality at the moment and others might well follow. I don’t believe the pandemic is over because it looks like some form of the virus will continue to be our companion on the road of life. Just like the flu has been over the years.

            But it’s difficult to see a consensus on a new normal since government regulations vary from area to area. In some regions people can go anywhere without face masks while elsewhere they are still required indoors.  Some schools insist on masks for students while others do not. The way I see it not everyone will experience the same new normal. The new normal will be personal because it’ll be what each one of us makes it.

Personal safety guidance will be determined by necessity. Some people with health issues will want to continue to be especially vigilant, just like parents with young children who are not vaccinated. And those who have lost loved ones to the virus will certainly make it a priority to be especially aware of the dangers of covid.

            In short, the new normal will not resemble the normal of just a couple of years ago. It can’t be. Too many people have been affected in myriad ways, from having suffered with the virus to losing their income overnight. But I believe people are resilient and that they will adapt as life continues to challenge us as it has always done.