Wednesday, April 6, 2022

 

SPRING IS HERE

 

It may not seem so but spring is just around the corner even if winter is still kicking up a fuss. Every spring I find it quite amazing how fast things change. Just a few weeks ago we had snow that, fortunately, quickly melted. That gave way to what I call the brown season, the dull almost lifeless look of nature before the sun has a chance to warm things up.

All that newness makes us aware of the need to renew ourselves. As spring springs into action, we also feel the need to take stock, to change, to clean. As with most people, at this time of year I clean out my closets. The main idea, of course, is to put warmer things in the back and bring lighter clothes to the front, but it’s also clean up time—what to keep and what to recycle. I don’t know about you, but I always have problems deciding what to eliminate. Some years, it’s tempting to want to replace every piece of clothing we own by taking a match to all of it.

When it comes to evaluating the clothes in our closets, some of us hang on to things we shouldn’t. I mean, is it necessary to keep a suit which has become hopelessly out of style? This is one area where I have a problem. I tend to keep clothes that were expensive and that I liked a lot even if the style really dates me. I suppose I keep hoping they’ll be back in fashion some time soon. It becomes sort of a crutch to hang on to what was.

But all is not lost. I have found a lady who loves to sew and who can do wonderful “adjustments.” A lovely dressy top with large padded shoulders (remember those?) I bought ages ago is now an exquisite little jacket (sans shoulder pads) thanks to this lady’s talent.

When it comes to evaluating a wardrobe, I believe it’s important to take the time to check out what’s new in the stores. Notwithstanding the fact that sleeveless is less and less appealing to many of us, not everything is as good or better than what we already own, but change does a body (and a spirit) good. Sometimes buying a new top that can go with the skirts or pants we already own can be a mood booster. So can a new accessory in the season’s hottest shade.

Like the flowers, spring should be all about new hues. That goes for men as well as women.