Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Brain Health
As the years pile on, all of us begin to notice that we may be undergoing subtle changes. Listening to those around me, one change that seems to worry people most has to do with poor memory. Or what I call forgetting to remember.
We’ve all experienced it. We walk into the kitchen and for a moment totally forget why we came in. Of course, by just stepping back a little the reason promptly comes back. A senior moment, as people call it. It makes some people worry that they are on their way to dementia. But as experts explain, dementia would be if you forgot what the kitchen is all about. 
          Senior moments happen to everyone at some point, and as a rule are not serious. But as we age, if we want to help our minds to remain healthy we must make sure our lifestyle is also healthy. With all we now know about the negatives effects of bad habits such as smoking, drug and alcohol abuse, it’s surprising to see people still abusing themselves. I always feel sad when I see older people standing outside buildings or shopping centers so they can smoke. I always wonder why they don’t take advantage of the many avenues available to get rid of the addiction once and for all.
           Keeping the mind in shape requires effort just like we need to take steps to keep the body working well for as long as possible. Exercising regularly is good for the body as well as the mind. So is a healthy diet. In addition, experts say it’s important to keep socially active and challenge the brain by learning something new, doing puzzles and having hobbies. Personally, I would add that laughing is a marvellous habit at any age, but especially as we age.
           My 89-year-old brother-in-law has always kept his sense of humor despite serious life challenges along the way. And his memory remains keen, especially when it comes to jokes. I admire him because I have trouble remembering jokes but I can laugh at his. Just as I laughed at my son’s remark when I asked him if he had read my recently published book. He replied with a straight face that he had not, but that he had a good reason: He first had to get through Green Eggs and Ham.
            Enjoy the wonder of Fall.