Wednesday, May 20, 2020

A New Normal Spring
For several weeks as we lived the new reality of a pandemic, our actions have been and still are altered in ways we never expected. Many people have been finding it difficult, if not totally depressing, to live in that changed world.
           Talking on the phone to a relative a few days ago she told me she makes an effort to walk outside every day to fight depression. Because she lives alone she tries to talk to people she sees while keeping the necessary social distancing. She says it helps her see the light at the end of the tunnel. But she added that spring is starting to make her realize that the world will get better and be brighter.
           I can only agree. Today, as I was walking along the lake where I live I had to marvel at how quickly our world has come alive. Just a few weeks ago we had snow that, fortunately, quickly melted. That gave way to what I call the brown season, the dull almost lifeless look of nature before the sun has a chance to warm things up. That was certainly the case two weeks ago and I couldn’t wait to see green.  I got my wish as, almost overnight, lawns are once again showing off their green blades in the warming sun. Close to my house the dark red shoots of the peonies, seemingly growing an inch a day, are rushing to be able to display their large blooms for everyone to admire.
All the while buds on trees are bursting at the seam. Before we know it, the leaves will all be out and with us for the whole coming summer.
Our world may have changed and we may be facing a new normal, but nature will never let us down. It will always renew itself and give us hope of  better days ahead.