Wednesday, March 25, 2020

A Changed Reality
As the corona virus continues to flourish, our world has changed drastically in a very short time, has it not? Now a vast number of people are working from home while at the same time trying to keep their children busy. Not easy. Also not easy to forgo social contacts and activities which are now more or less non-existent.
            I always work from home so, virus or not, that part of my life has not changed much. However being in self-isolation means that the rest of my life is radically different. I miss not participating in the life of the community but most of all not being able to embrace and interact directly with my children and grandchildren. But I am very grateful for the various means of communication available to us today to negate the problem. It keeps contacts with family and friends very much open. One thing is that calling people on the telephone is back in style and very welcome by people staying in their homes and yearning for human contact.
In our new reality, life as we knew it is paused for now.
            Like me, many people are isolating at home. It may not seem so, but everyone who does it may in fact be saving lives as experts put it. In our new reality staying at home and watching a movie may very well be an altruistic act. And, for those who must work, washing their hands often and practicing social distancing is keeping them safe as well as all those they come into contact with.
Who would have said that just a few weeks ago!
 When self-isolaters do go out for essential reasons, including walks, they too must practice social distancing. On my long daily walk I do make certain to stay at least two yards from anyone else I see, especially from the people I know and with whom I may briefly chat.
We will get through this if we work together by staying apart. For now.