Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Gratitude

The other day my sister was bemoaning how aging has been affecting her body. However, she quickly admitted how fortunate she was compared to the poor people of Ukraine.

            Indeed! We all are.   

            We live a world away from war whose images we see daily and which, it seems, are becoming ever so more disturbing. In a recent interview, a Ukrainian woman asked a simple question: Why are they doing this to us? We haven’t done anything.

            I think most of us wonder the same thing. Yet there is little we can do, is there? We certainly can’t stop Russia in its demented quest.  We have to rely on our leaders to do all they can to stop the carnage.

            The whole scenario brings to mind the eternal question: Why do some people have such a hard time in this life while others simply cruise along with few bumps in the road. It surely cannot be karma since it would have to be aimed at the whole country, which seems impossible.  One thing is certain: we will never know the answer--people simply have to go along with what they have to face, good or bad.

            I wish I could change Ukraine’s current destiny, but I can help those poor people with monetary donations and support for refugees. I also believe in putting good vibes into the Universe by prayer so the conflict can come to an end.

            However, most of all, I am filled with gratitude to be living in peace in this part of the world. I am truly blessed.