Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Styles Today

When women model the latest fashions, more often than not these days the models seem to have a fear of food.  I suppose this is a subliminal message which states that the smaller the dress size a woman wears, the better and happier she’ll be. Not so, say the latest surveys. It would seem that women who wear an average size 12 are happier than those who wear size 6 or smaller. 

And I wonder if the idea of small sizes has any impact on today’s younger people. All they want is to be comfortable in whatever they choose to wear. Of course, they should realize the “comfortable” has it limits. Case in point, at the funeral of a family friend, I was somewhat shocked to see a youngish couple arrive for the church service wearing jeans and t-shirts. While fully realizing that the days when people never left the house without the woman wearing a dress and white gloves and the man a suit and tie are long gone, a certain amount of care is needed when dressing for special occasions. And a funeral is certainly a special occasion.

For us, the generation with more life experience, the constant of life is change.  But not all change is perfect. While dressing casually makes a lot more sense than the “stiff” fashion styles of the past in many situations, I don’t know that, for example, wearing jeans full of holes or wearing shorts that hang down past the knees are any better.

It seems to me that young people are not properly schooled on how to show respect through what they wear. When I was young, some time ago for sure, men removed their hats when they went inside a home, a restaurant, etc. I was recently eating out with friends when I saw a young man at the next table wearing a baseball cap in today’s reverse style. I wanted to go over and tell him that it was not a very good look inside a busy restaurant, but I controlled myself. Before we left I asked myself how that young man would fare when he went for a job interview? Would he dress properly for that?

Wrong styles can still have an impact on many aspects of life. Something we older folks should be willing to discuss openly with those that are following.